Thursday 21 April 2011

Shutter Island



I was asked by Chirag Heda (click to view facebook profile) to write a movie review of Shutter Island. It is a movie I watched in my final year in college and since I believe it is a good movie, I have fond memories of the movie and how it mind-f*$#ed me. 

So, Shutter Island was released in the US in early 2010 but was sadly not released in India at the same time. So, I remember the day when Dadis watched this movie and told me its a must watch and a clear reminder of Hitchcock. That caught my attention because as everyone knows, Alfred Hitchcock is one of the greatest movie makers of all time with ground breaking movies like Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window and Dial M for Murder.

Coming back to Shutter Island, it is directed by Martin Scorcesse (The Departed, Cape Fear, Taxi) and it is spearheaded by one of his favorite actors, Leonardo Dicaprio as Teddy Daniels. Other actors include Ben Kingsley(Gandhi, Lucky Number Slevin) who plays the role of the psychiatric head, Dr.Jon Crawley and Mark Ruffalo (click to go to wiki) as Chuck.

Since the genre of the movie, as I see it, is a mystery thriller, it would be unwise of me to let you in on the plot. So, I will say this, it is about Teddy Daniels, a cop trying to find a woman who has mysteriously disappeared from an asylum (which is on an island). There are several twists and turns in this movie, so once you start this one, don't stop till you see the ending credits.

My rating for this movie is a double thumbs up with a 9/10 rating.

2 comments: